AIR Worldwide (AIR), a member of the Verisk Insurance Solutions group at Verisk Analytics, is the scientific leader and most respected provider of risk modeling software and consulting services. AIR founded the catastrophe modeling industry in 1987 and today models the risk from natural catastrophes and terrorism in 90 countries. AIR offers the opportunity to work with advanced technologies, global clients, and hundreds of the most innovative, talented minds in the industry.
Become a member AIR’s Atmospheric Perils Vulnerability team and join our growing Research and Modeling department. Use your knowledge of Civil Engineering and Statistics to develop models of extreme catastrophic events (i.e., hurricanes, tornadoes, storm surge, flood etc.) and assess building performance in the context of such events.
Main responsibilities, but not limited to:
- Collect, analyze and efficiently manage a wide variety of data (such as building characteristics, damage and loss data) used in the development and validation of catastrophe models
- Deep knowledge and experience associated with the application of computation fluid dynamics (CFD) in wind engineering to investigate wind effects on buildings
- Statistical analyses of historical damage and insurance claims data
- Employ the use of GIS tools visualize data and analysis
- Use a variety of statistical analysis techniques to analyze datasets
- Use information obtained from engineering reports and scientific literature coupled with insights from CFD and insurance claims data to help develop vulnerability functions to be used in catastrophe models
- Prepare and present work product at staff and client meetings
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to gather, understand, and critically analyze data
- Strong analytical skills, experience with probability and statistics
- Proficiency in CFD based tools such as OpenFOAM and/or ANSYS Fluent
- Experience in data analysis and mining, and using major tools (SQL, ArcGIS)
- Experience in programming and modeling using major computer languages (FORTRAN and/or C/C++)
- Competence in handling commercially available analytical software tools (MS Excel, MATLAB)
- Communication Skills – have the necessary set of skills to effectively present in front of a group, and have strong written and verbal communication skills to work with other departments at AIR on a variety of projects.
- Knowledge of probabilistic risk modelling is a plus
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Civil Engineering
- Insurance industry experience is a plus
About AIR Worldwide
AIR Worldwide (AIR) provides catastrophe risk modeling solutions that make individuals, businesses, and society more resilient. AIR founded the catastrophe modeling industry in 1987, and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, cyber attacks, and pandemics globally. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on AIR’s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. AIR Worldwide, a Verisk Analytics (Nasdaq:VRSK) business, is headquartered in Boston with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia.
For more information, please visit www.air-worldwide.com
All members of the Verisk Analytics Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers.